click announcement for details
October 2016SMTWTFS252627282930010203040506070809101112131415161718192021222324252627282930310102030405
click dates for event details
click here for complete list

Office of Veterans Affairs
Jeffrey L. Nichols - Director, and Mark DeBoer - Benefits Counselor

The Ogemaw County Office of Veterans Affairs was established to assist veterans, their dependants and/or survivors to file claims with the Veterans Administration and to put the individual in contact with the appropriate agency or service that is designed to deal with their needs.


All benefits are limited to those veterans with other than dishonorable discharges.  Services include:

Filing Veterans Administration claims for veterans

  • Compensation (Service connected injury); wartime service not required.

  • Disability Pension (non-service connected) Veteran must have been in service during the following periods:  World War I (April 6, 1917 - November 1918); World War II (December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946); Korea Conflict (June 27, 1950 – January 1955); Viet Nam Era (February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975): Persian Gulf War (August 2, 1990 to present)  Note:  This benefit is subject to income limitations.

 Filing claims for survivors and widow/widower’s benefits

  • Dependency and Indemnity compensation (veteran’s death must be as a result of a service connected disability or injury)

  • Widow/widower’s pension (subject to income limitations, and the veteran must have had wartime service)

If qualified, the Veteran may be eligible for any number of the following  benefits:

·        Hospital and nursing home care

·        The Pharmacy Program

·        Outpatient Care

·        Vocational Rehabilitation

·        Educational Assistance

·        Alcohol and Drug Treatment

·        G.I. Home Loan

·        Burial Benefits and Headstone

Additional assistance is offered in the following areas:

·        Obtain copies of discharges, separation and medical records.

·        File claims and change beneficiaries of Government Life Insurance policies.

·        File Homestead Taxes and Home Heating Credits

·        Arrange transportation to V.A. Hospitals through volunteer drivers

·        Assist individuals with contacting the following agencies:


Michigan Veterans Facilities (Grand Rapids 800-642-4838 and Marquette 800-433-6760)

Both the wartime veteran and spouse are eligible for domiciliary, basic and skilled nursing care.

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund (Grants for emergency needs.  requires wartime service.)

Soldier’s Relief Fund (county) Grants for emergency needs and burial benefits, if qualified.  Requires wartime service.  


  • sitemap
  • privacy policy
  • links disclaimer

  • ©2006-2016 Grey House Media