click announcement for details
October 2016SMTWTFS252627282930010203040506070809101112131415161718192021222324252627282930310102030405
click dates for event details
click here for complete list

General Information

The Ogemaw County Clerk is the chief election officer for the county and as such, performs a variety of duties and tasks relating to the oversight and administration of elections.  Those duties and tasks include but are not limited to, preparation and proofreading of ballots, training of township/city election precinct workers, receiving & tallying election results for public review and use, working with the county board of canvassers to certify election results, providing information and answering questions concerning the election process, assisting candidates with petition questions/filing, and sitting as a board member on the County Elections Commission.
Since the elections area covers a very broad and diverse span of information, the coverage and discussion of the elections function will be limited to the following areas:
1.       Information for Voters;
2.       Frequently Asked Questions about Voting; and,
3.       Election Results
Rather than duplicate efforts that have been made by the Michigan Secretary of State (SOS) office with regard to voter information, we are providing you the opportunity to access the Secretary of State Information for Voters link. Once reaching this site, please click on the Michigan Voter Information link.  In the event you cannot access this site, please feel free to contact our office at 989.345.0215.
What is the difference between a primary and general election?
A primary election is held by the political parties to select their nominees for the offices to be elected at the general election.  In a primary, Republicans run against Republicans and Democrats run against other Democrats.  In a primary, you can vote for one party.  No split ticket voting is allowed. 
A general election is between party nominees and any candidates without political party affiliation, the general election determines which candidate will occupy the office that is up for election.  Statewide ballot proposals also appear on the general election ballot.
Who may register to vote?
If you are a U.S. citizen, at least 18 years old by Election Day, and a resident of the state of Michigan and the city or township where you are registering to vote.
When may I register to vote?
You may register at any time, but to vote in an upcoming election you must be registered to vote at least 30 days prior to the election.
Where can I register?
At any Secretary of State branch office, your city or township clerk office, any Department of Human Service office, specified Department of Community Health and Jobs Commission offices, and any County Clerk office.
May I register to vote by mail?
Yes.  Individuals who register to vote by mail must vote in person in the first election following their registration. 
Where do I vote?
Your voter ID card will list the polling place or you may contact your city, township or county clerk for your polling place.  You may view the Contact US link in the County Clerk’s area of this website for a listing of all township/city clerks and the polling place address.
What is the process for recalling an elected official?
Because of the complexity of the process and ever-changing election laws we are recommending you contact the County Clerk’s directly to get up-to-the-minute information concerning this area.
When the polls are open?
The polls are open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.
May I receive assistance when voting?
An elector may request voting assistance from the precinct board without stating a reason, in which case two inspectors (one from each political party), will provide assistance.  If you need assistance because you are blind, disabled or unable to read or write, you may ask anyone (except your employer, an agent of your employer or an officer or agent of your union) to provide assistance.
Is campaigning allowed on election day at the polling location?
Yes, as long as it is at least 100 feet from any entrance to the polling location. 
When can I vote an Absentee Ballot?
You can vote by an absentee ballot if you are 60 years of age or more, expect to be absent from the community in which you are registered vote for the entire time the polls are open, unable to go to polls because of religious beliefs, are confined to jail or prison awaiting arraignment or trial, or have been appointed as an election inspector in a precinct other than where you are registered to vote.  You can also receive an absentee ballot if you are unable to get to the polls without the assistance of another person.
How do I receive an absentee ballot?
You can obtain an absent voter ballot by writing to the clerk of the city or township in which you are a registered voter.  You must include on your request:
·         Your name.
·         The date of the election.
·         The address where you are registered.
·         The reasons why you are requesting an absentee ballot.
·         The address where to have the ballot sent.  (This must be your registration address).
Be sure to include your signature and the date. 
Members of the armed forces and military dependents, and U.S. citizens temporarily living outside of the U.S. may use a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to obtain an absent voter ballot. 
What is the application deadline to receive an absentee ballot?
The deadline day to apply for an absentee ballot is the Saturday preceding the election and returned by no later than 8:00 p.m. on Election Day to the city or township clerk.  Please contact your local clerk for emergency absentee ballot procedures.

What are the instructions for applicants filling out absentee ballot applications?
Step 1. After completely filling out the application, sign and date the application in the place designated. Your signature must appear on the application or
you will not receive an absent voter ballot.

Step 2. Deliver the application by 1 of the following methods:
(a) Place the application in an envelope addressed to the appropriate clerk and place the necessary postage upon the return envelope and deposit it in the
United States mail or with another public postal service, express mail service, parcel post service, or common carrier.

(b) Deliver the application personally to the office of the clerk, to the clerk, or to an authorized assistant of the clerk.

(c) In either (a) or (b), a member of the immediate family of the voter including a father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law,
daughter-in-law, grandparent, or grandchild or a person residing in the voter's household may mail or deliver the application to the clerk for the applicant.

(d) In the event an applicant cannot return the application in any of the above methods, the applicant may select any registered elector to return the
application. The person returning the application must sign and return the certificate at the bottom of the application.

  • sitemap
  • privacy policy
  • links disclaimer

  • ©2006-2016 Grey House Media